> On Mar 28, 2015, at 8:15 PM, Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On the clamshell, phone, I suggest the clamshell paradigm kept going longer than it perhaps should have because their wasn't an easy algorithm for use by phone designers that showed  the benefits and limitations of different configurations in human terms. French's approach to using abstractions could have provided that kind of information

Terry,

Can you give me a hint of what that algorithm would be like? How would it improv decisions over the sort of "good news/bad news" list that I would assume most designers compile in their heads regarding pretty much any design feature or material?

For example: The clamshell design is good for protecting delicate parts. The clamshell design is good for reducing the length while not in use. The clamshell design increases the thickness while not in use. The clamshell design limits the total size of the (presumably single) screen compared to the total unfolded size.  The clamshell design limits the total size of the contiguous non-screen area compared to the total unfolded size. The clamshell design requires unfolding before most use. (Am I missing the sort of factor you had in mind?)

Is an algorithm really needed to make decisions based on these? When you talk about roughly quantifying things, do you mean something beyond knowing that something on half of an unfolded object can never be more than half of the size of the unfolded object; an object that unfolds once can never be more than twice as long as its folded self; an even-thickness object will be at least twice as thick if folded in half; etc.?

Was there really a period where designers were stuck in a clamshell paradigm to the detriment of phone design? When did that happen? Can you give some examples?

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program