Hello Alastair, Markus, Brian, Terese, Marieke and everyone

There is always a danger of stretching any metaphor too far, but here, nevertheless, are a couple of further thoughts about 'learning parks'.

1. The very first parks were, I think, English deer parks, which had (according to Wikipedia) "walls or thick hedges around them to keep game in and people out." This sounds rather like schools, colleges and universities, which seek to keep the 'game' of learning to themselves and only allow access on their own terms to those whom they deem suitable to be allowed within the walls. Control of the park remains very much in the hands of (to use your words, Brian) "established major players [and] open to consume only in approved ways". The most obvious contemporary example that comes to mind is the extreme competitiveness of entry to 'better' universities.

2. Then in the nineteenth century we saw major developments of public parks, around the same time and for the same reasons as public libraries, museums and state-funded schools were expanding. But what makes parks, libraries and museums different from schools is that nobody tells you what to do when you are there. As long as you do not behave in a way that inconveniences others you may use what is on offer as you will, and in the case of museums and libraries you can do this by yourself or ask for some sort of guidance or guided tour. I agree Alastair with your implication that we need skilled teachers - but perhaps the teacher needs to evolve to be more like a librarian or museum guide, responding to the expressed needs of the would-be learner rather than imposing a prescribed curriculum. This bottom-up tradition of the teacher/learner relationship has, of course, been around for over 100 hundred years in the Nordic Study Circles model. And for a contemporary example of an 'open' park-like learning environment that meets your requirements, Alastair, for access, safety and support, we should look at the various makespaces/hackspaces that are appearing. (Cambridge Makespace is in fact open 24/7 subject to certain health and safety requirements.) Are there any makespaces/hackspaces yet in Germany, Markus?

Terese and Marieke, you have both raised a hugely important issue: "Who will pay for the park?" "How do you marry monetisation and openness?" It is surely naive to think that the future of education will be business as usual but with open resources sort of stuck on to traditional institutional models. Who gets paid in the learning park, how and for what type of service are questions I believe we have barely started to examine.

Best wishes

Terry