Yes, Cable, it is indeed good news that the UN are promoting open educational practice in this way.

And I wonder if other members of the Open Education Special Interest Group are, like me, also heartened by the significant recent rise in popularity and influence in both Sweden and Iceland (http://rt.com/news/240733-iceland-pirate-party-parliament/) of the Pirate Party, with its commitment to limiting copyright terms.

Now you might be thinking that the UN has far more power and influence than all the Pirate Parties in Europe put together. But does it in reality? Does the UN have any real capability that is comparable with the corporate might of the likes of Pearson and Getty Images? And surely the stranglehold on education of the copyright barons is more likely to be challenged by the combined efforts of grassroots groups like Open Education Special interest Group and the Pirate Party than by the UN.

... not that I am trying to be provocative:-)

Best wishes to all

Terry Loane