FE's clearly more restrictive than HE. In the pre-92 HE institutions I've worked in, although officially any works created during the course of a job were considered copyright of the institution, for academics there was a concession that they retained authorship of any published papers and articles, including presumably OER content. For instance, I can think of many academic colleagues who wrote books stemming from their institutional work, and whilst the institution got a cut of the sales the colleagues retained copyright.

The impression I get is that such an arrangement is commonplace in pre-92 academia, as part of the collegiate academic ethos whereby knowledge is shared in the academic community.

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk