FE's clearly more restrictive than HE. In the pre-92 HE institutions I've
worked in, although officially any works created during the course of a job
were considered copyright of the institution, for academics there was a
concession that they retained authorship of any published papers and
articles, including presumably OER content. For instance, I can think of
many academic colleagues who wrote books stemming from their institutional
work, and whilst the institution got a cut of the sales the colleagues
retained copyright.

The impression I get is that such an arrangement is commonplace in pre-92
academia, as part of the collegiate academic ethos whereby knowledge is
shared in the academic community.

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk