Thanks for this Alex.

Very interesting.

It isn't concerned per se with licensing so much as issues of consent, privacy and ethics. And in the UK mare particularly with the concept of informed consent. The photos that Koppie Koppie are exploiting (ethically? unethically?) in their merchandising under Creative Commons assumes that the people who posted the photos on Flickr, and applied a CC license to them, had the permission of the parents/guardians (in the case of minors) to do so and that those adults knew that applying such a license would mean that the subjects of the photos might therefore appear anywhere. This has to be inferred consent as their is currently nowhere in CC licensing schemes to link to anything which might in turn link to a statement of informed consent.

We can only infer that the people who posted the photos and applied the licences had in fact read and understood the terms and conditions of both Flickr and Creative Commons.

I co-wrote an OpenEd paper with Jane Williams and Megan Quentin-Baxter some time ago proposing a Consent Commons to deal with exactly this type of thing (see http://openaccess.uoc.edu/webapps/o2/bitstream/10609/4864/6/Williams_editat.pdf) and we had a lovely case study which Megan wrote up here: http://responsible-innovation.org.uk/torrii/resource-detail/1472

We also worked on some guidance which Jisc hosts (and which probably could do with some updating now) at http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/clinical-recordings/

I'd love to see this issue debated more...

Suzanne
--

Suzanne Hardy
Senior Project Officer

Tel: 0191 208 3264
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/quilt

email: [log in to unmask]
mobile: 07790 905657
skype: glitt3rgirl

The Enterprise Shed: Making Ideas Happen starts 30 March
www.futurelearn.com/courses/enterprise-shed

Hadrian's Wall: Life on the Roman Frontier
www.futurelearn.com/courses/hadrians-wall

Ageing Well: Falls
www.futurelearn.com/courses/falls