I am no lawyer (thank goodness) but it strikes me that a statement that "works created 'whether or not in the course of your employment' [are] 'the absolute property of the College'" is counter to Section 11 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, and therefore arguably an unfair condition of employment.

And what would happen if an individual had part-time employment contracts with two colleges, each of which sought to impose this condition? In practice, many teachers in further and adult education do work for more than one institution, and will in practice create resources that they will use with students across the various institutions where they work. Who owns the copyright in these resources? (I have been asking this question for at least 15 years and never received an answer:-) )

Terry Loane