If a client asks if they record I say I have no problem this as long as it is not misconstrued in any way and to make sure that this does not happen I whip out my Dictaphone and also record for my records. The covert recording is obviously more difficult but I take the view that if I am doing a professional job then it shouldn’t be an issue.

This is briefly discussed in the following link http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/legal-qa-recording-disciplinary-and-grievance-meetings/

I was also sent the following article last week which discusses the issue from an American perspective see http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2204226

Karen

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debbie Kirkbride
Sent: 22 March 2015 11:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Taping of consultations

Hi
Yes l also was surprised that covert recording was allowed by client. I freelance so it depends if l work for provider or my direct contract. Providers have their own procedures..all say if employee has someone in with them at the consultation then l should do also. Problem with this is there are no other oh personnel on the sites so l am supposed to use hr. Obviously this has its own problems. For my own contract work l do not mind the employee being accompanied provided the person accompanying them does not interfere with the consultation. I have a little spiel l use for this.
Must remember if we record as professionals consent etc has to be gained.
Debbie