CANTUM PULCRIOREM INVENIRE:
Thirteenth-Century Music and Poetry (CPI-I)

‘Cantum pulcriorem invenire: Thirteenth-Century Music and Poetry’ (CPI-I) was funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (£0.72m), started on 1 October 2010, and ended on 30 September 2014; it was hosted by the Department of Music at the University of Southampton. Via a monograph, three commercial CDs, an online catalogue and three PhDs, the project aims to develop an understanding of the 12th and 13th century conductus based around both texts and music.

The CPI-I project is delighted to announce to the formal release of the database of the twelfth and thirteenth-century conductus:

Gregorio Bevilacqua and Mark Everist, eds., ‘Cantum pulcriorem invenire: Conductus Database’. catalogue.conductus.ac.uk.

It inventories 956 poems, of which 866 include musical settings ranging from monodies to four-part works, and is grounded in the analysis of 565 manuscript and printed sources.  It unifies and updates the existing printed catalogues by Gröninger (1939), Falck (1970-81) and Anderson (1972-75).

The database is searchable via column-browsing technology across six criteria simultaneously, and these six may be chosen from a total of 37 different criteria, which may be assembled in any combination.

In addition, the database contains digital editions of all 956 conductus poems, full-text and fully searchable; the editions also include poetic analysis of every text.

The database is now live, open-access, and ready for use.

Comments, corrections and additions are welcome to:

University of Southampton, February 2015