Posted Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:49:28
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:
You can follow us on twitter @MedSocNews

Please can you forward this message to the medsoc news list?

Deconstructing donation

In recent years we have witnessed heightened political and sociological interest in the donation of organs, gametes, blood and tissue, and in related activities of procurement, processing, banking and distribution. In thinking about the concept of donation, we would like to explore vital sociological questions:

How is donation conceptualised and what kinds of relationships does it produce?

What is the value of human body parts?

How is donation practiced and regulated within local or international contexts?

Our aim is to consider how or whether we can make sense of the fractured landscape which forms current sociological understanding of the meanings of donation. Is it possible for example, to develop a theory of donation which accounts for such a wide range of current practices, involving diverse body parts, actors, technologies, theories and methodological approaches?

To explore these issues, Dr Laura Machin (University of Lancaster), Dr Lucy Frith (University of Liverpool) and Dr Rebecca Dimond (University of Cardiff) would like to invite you to take part in a debate about the sociology of donation which will take place during the BSA MedSoc conference (9th-11th September 2015, University of York). The session would be in Pecha Kucha style (each presenter has just 6 minutes, 40 seconds and 20 slides to present their ideas). This format will enable a wide range of contributors, and we welcome abstracts presenting research findings, ‘works in progress’, reflections on sociological theory or new ideas and approaches that might contribute to our attempts to understand, and deconstruct donation.

If you would like to contribute to this informal debate, please submit a 200 word abstract to Dr Rebecca Dimond [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  by 7th April.

We will then submit our plans with the list of presenters to the BSA MedSoc conference. Please note that if this proposal is accepted into the programme, you will be required to register for the conference as an attendee and pay the conference fee as normal. The registration deadline for all presenters is Friday 19 June 2015.

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html