I agree with Richard Legault and Gordon Plumb. On the left Judas betrays Jesus with a kiss, and the image is accompanied with 30 pieces of silver. On the right Peter denies Jesus to one of the women standing around the fire (John 18:18); a brazier is represented on a one-leg stand. -- Paul

On 3/8/2015 3:19 PM, richard legault wrote:
Gordon's idea of a brazier is better than mine. This provides symmetry in depicting two betrayals of Jesus on either side of the cross. On the left there is Judas kissing Jesus accompanied by the image of pieces of silver and on the right, Peter's denial of Jesus to the servant girl, accompanied by the brazier (a fire they had kindled in the hall). See Luke 22:54-57 (KJV)<https://www.biblegateway..com/passage/?search=luke%2022:54-22:57&version=KJV>.

Rick

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Gordon Plumb<000000648c720e9f-dmarc-[log in to unmask]<mailto:000000648c720e9f-dmarc-[log in to unmask]>>  wrote:

Genevra

I think it is a brazier with a fair in it - Peter was, according to the gospe4ls warming himself at the fire when approached for by one  those accusing him of being with Jesus.

Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Genevra Kornbluth<[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: MEDIEVAL-RELIGION<MEDIEVAL-[log in to unmask]<mailto:MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>>
Sent: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 18:31
Subject: [M-R] ID for an Instrument of the Passion

am currently indexing a batch of my photographs from Warsaw, and need
help
identifying an object in a Man of Sorrows image.
The painting is online
here
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wroc%C5%82aw_Christ_as_Man_of_Sorrows.jpg
though
I hope that my photos are clearer. In the upper corner, just to
the left of
Peter's denial, is an object that looks like a grill on a
handle, with red
somethings emerging from it. Any ideas what it might
be?
Thanks!
Genevra