Hello Laura,
I don't know whether there might be kneelers there, but the tomb of King Robert of Anjou in S. Chiara in Naples is certainly placed right behind the high altar, and forms a sort of de facto altarpiece.  Interesting question.  There were certainly many tombs with inscriptions requesting passers-by to pray for the souls of the deceased.
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Laura Jacobus [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: March 23, 2015 9:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] kneelers/prie-dieus in front of tombs or altars

Has anyone come across surviving examples of kneelers placed in front of tombs during the medieval period? The ones I'm thinking about are described in an inventory as three 'kneelers, two of stone with columns around'.  The only possible place I can see for them to go is in front of some tombs behind the altar.  One of the tombs is that of the church's founder, and prayers were certainly said for him, so that would seem to have been their purpose.  I know that at Ewelme prayers were said around the founder's tomb, but I don't think the arrangements for doing so are made clear and I'd rather imagined people standing there.  I would like to see any existing examples of kneelers at tombs if anyone is aware of them.  Italian ones would be a bonus.

all best

Laura

Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art