Meg, I have often found http://www.euratlas.com/ to be pretty useful.

- Kurt

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Cormack, Margaret Jean <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Greetings all,
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where to go (on line if possible) to indicate the boundaries of the successor states to the Byzantine empire (after Constantinople was sacked by the crusaders in 1204)
and the extent of the Patriarchate of Constantinople up to the present day.
I'd really like to find a set of maps that would allow students to trace the political forces that beset the empire and resulted in the branching  off of Kiev and eventually (self-) designation of Moscow as the "third Rome".
I could spend hours hunting through  maps on Wikipedia, but thought someone might know of  a useful site that would save  me time. Even maps from books would be scan-able!
Meg

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Dillon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 10:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Fwd: Hypognosticon

Dear Rosemary,

Thanks for this.

Careful readers of the ODNB Life of Lawrence of Durham will have observed that the most recent item cited in its bibliography is dated 1992. Lawrence's chief work, the _Hypognosticon_, was edited in 2002 by Udo Kindermann's former student and then colleague at Köln, Susanne Daub (now professor of medieval Latin and Neo-Latin at Jena): _Gottes Heilsplan--verdichtet : Edition des Hypognosticon des Laurentius Dunelmensis_ (Erlangen: Palm & Enke). A major monograph on Lawrence, also by Daub, appeared in 2005: _Von der Bibel zum Epos. Poetische Strategien des Laurentius am geistlichen Hof von Durham_ (Köln: Böhlau).

It is regrettable that Oxford has not found a reliable way of keeping current the selective but still highly valuable bibliographies that accompany the over 50,000 Lives in the ODNB.

Best,
John Dillon

On 03/16/15, Rosemary Hayes wrote:

> I hope you'll forgive me for forwarding the whole of this ODNB Life of the Day, rather than the usual link. I'm using my iPad on a train and can't edit easily, but thought the subject's ideas might be of interest to List readers.
>

> Rosemary Hayes
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>

> > From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> > Date: 16 March 2015 07:00:01 GMT
> > To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Hypognosticon
> >

> > New: the ODNB is offering two Research Bursaries for 2015-16: we’re looking for interesting projects using the ODNB online in humanities research. Further details and application form: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__global.oup.com_oxforddnb_info_news_researchbursaries_&d=AwIFaQ&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=ck9DGMUVufrSrS57t_UT9k6In-tVqXkuW6oaFL10XQY&m=Rs6hX21_CY3pyO9QphEAGEqGKo4OAvZaWz4v4nsOdJs&s=zBEySNvxlSMdPKicb2LjFjdP4IG8-ZNf7QL0pdsDrgw&e=
> >
> > Our latest podcast: Margery Kempe (b. c.1373, d. in or after 1438), visionary and author of the earliest autobiography in English https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__global.oup.com_oxforddnb_info_freeodnb_pod_&d=AwIFaQ&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=ck9DGMUVufrSrS57t_UT9k6In-tVqXkuW6oaFL10XQY&m=Rs6hX21_CY3pyO9QphEAGEqGKo4OAvZaWz4v4nsOdJs&s=2XCBWS_-8YVEyZxZ4sZpo4LUM7NhHJl4D5nFvz_XAa4&e=
> >
> > David Cannadine talks to BBC History about his plans as Editor of the ODNB https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.historyextra.com_podcast_life-2Dworkhouse-2Dand-2Dbritish-2Dbiographies&d=AwIFaQ&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=ck9DGMUVufrSrS57t_UT9k6In-tVqXkuW6oaFL10XQY&m=Rs6hX21_CY3pyO9QphEAGEqGKo4OAvZaWz4v4nsOdJs&s=CN5uOl2k4NacNPyhTcCe9o3LOmqarp-kWVXZMV_vr1w&e=

> > To read this Life of the Day complete with a picture of the subject,
> > visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.oxforddnb.com_view_lotw_2015-2D03-2D16&d=AwIFaQ&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=ck9DGMUVufrSrS57t_UT9k6In-tVqXkuW6oaFL10XQY&m=Rs6hX21_CY3pyO9QphEAGEqGKo4OAvZaWz4v4nsOdJs&s=BFPwKJfy-bv72a9nkxqcZz5xYCV17IxnQ8lnSeX_sFs&e=
> >

> > Durham, Lawrence of (c.1110-1154), poet and prior of Durham, was, as he relates in his Dialogi (which can be accepted as autobiographical in its circumstantial detail), born at Waltham, Essex; U. Kindermann has suggested a date of 1114, but this is perhaps a little late. Along with his brother, he was educated at the school of Holy Cross Church. From there he went to Durham (which had had close connections with Waltham since the time of Bishop Walcher), and became a monk during the episcopacy of Ranulf Flambard (d. 1128). He notes the esteem in which he was held for his poetry and singing, and eventually he became precentor in the monastery; at this time he may have taught Ailred, later of Rievaulx.

> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jiscmail.ac.uk_medieval-2Dreligion&d=AwIFaQ&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=ck9DGMUVufrSrS57t_UT9k6In-tVqXkuW6oaFL10XQY&m=Rs6hX21_CY3pyO9QphEAGEqGKo4OAvZaWz4v4nsOdJs&s=KydkYnjRu3kSFngCscLPkvZHnXEpTMlXOsNReKIdbPY&e=