Is Brother David's treatment not a serious one? Or did you mean secular, in
the sense that a non-secular treatment cannot be serious?

I'm not sure what the idea is for which you seek a "serious exploration".
Such stories are allegories, analogies and metaphors dwelling more in the
domain of fictional literature than in serious history (i.e. demonstrable
historicity of a folk tale being deliberately modeled on historical fact.)
However, ever since Calvert and Schliemann followed Homer to Troy, this
point has been rather moot.

Some random thoughts follow.

Clerics and Dwarves - The idea of clerics expressing humility by comparing
themselves to dwarves was definitely alive and well in the time of Bernard
of Chartres who is said to have died c. 1124. His student John of Salisbury
reportedly wrote:

Bernard of Chartres used to say that we are like dwarves perched on the
shoulders of giants, and thus we are able to see more and farther than the
latter. And this is not at all because of the acuteness of our sight or the
stature of our body, but because we are carried aloft and elevated by the
magnitude of the giants.

The dwarf analogy has been in circulation
<http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0162b.shtml> ever since,
paraphrased in 'serious' writing by the likes of Peter of Blois, Isaac Newton,
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Stephen Hawking.  Its origin with Bernard is
also debatable.

Symbolism of Seven - As for the applications of the number seven in
monastic, clerical and theological symbolism, the possibilities abound:

   - Seven (six plus one) days of creation in *Genesis*,
   - Seven first books of the Bible - the *Heptateuch* in Augustine's usage.
   - Seven sapiential books of the Bible.
   - Seven Liberal Arts
   - Seven Deadly Sins
   - Seven Virtues
   - Seven 'hours' of the divine office in Benedict's Rule (Matins, Prime,
   Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, Compline)

I'm sure you can think of more.

Grimm Sources - My sense of the brothers Grmm's sources is a long history
of folk tales and oral transmission. I know of no specific scholarly study
on *Snow White* in particular. Do you suppose their tale is really a
disguised or corrupted history of some real heiress, protected or raised in
isolation by monks, until her coming of age and accession to her rightful
inheritance, or something of the sort? Considering the bloodthirsty
machinations of succession most evident within aristocratic lineages
throughout European history, such a thing ought not be too surprising.
However, I know of no specific case on which the tale might be modelled.
Might families facing uncertain futures possibly have found it wise to
instruct youngsters with tales of this kind to equip them with ideas,
alternatives and the wherewithal to overcome likely adversities of disputed
succession the youngsters might need to face alone? Considering the short
life expectancies in antiquity and medieval times, second, third and fourth
marriages were common. Early widowhood, death in childbirth, plagues, wars,
and so on would have led to many youngsters having multiple step-relatives
all vying for the same limited store of prizes. Not to mention pretenders,
usurpers and inordinate abundances of neglected bastards scattered across
the countryside. Is this the idea you'd like to see more seriously
explored?

Comparables - The Merlin and Arthur stories might provide good comparables
more well covered in the 'serious' literature. Arguably, even *Hamlet* fits
this mold.

Cheers,

Richard.