medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Apologies for cross posting.

I have just posted to my online archive 119 images from the National Museum in Warsaw:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/MNW.html

There are a few early medieval and Byzantine objects-- unfortunately most early material is in rooms closed when I was there. Most objects that I shot are in the amazing late medieval collection. I took multiple photos of several of these, including a C14 corpus from Wrocław/Breslau, the Leubus Pietà, a C15 Annunciation with Mary cuddling a unicorn, Christ carrying the Cross with all life-size figures, the huge Marian polyptych from Hamburg Cathedral (with a date palm bending down during the Flight into Egypt, related to the scene described in the Cherry Tree Carol), and the Triptych of St. Stanislaus the Bishop from Pławno. These and other objects have their own web pages, linked from the Warsaw page. I hope that you all find them as interesting as I do.

Among the objects are the Man of Sorrows that I asked this list about earlier. I found an exhibition catalogue that discusses it; they call the mystery object a torch. I ended up labeling it "brazier or torch". The catalogue calls the object held by the isolated hand on the right (above the augur and next to the column) a lock of hair. My detail photo of that quadrant unfortunately blurred, so I have not posted it. I'd be curious to know how this strikes you-- are the tormentors supposed to have pulled out Jesus's hair? The Hamburg polyptych includes the image of the Sorrows of Mary with five swords that several of you helped me with. Many thanks!

The MNW page ends with two shots of a seal impression, undated. I wrote down lots of information about this at the museum, but alas, I can't now be sure whether I wrote C *XIIII* or *XVII*! I have been unable to find any publication of the seal, which has a nice clear image of St. Martin. Does anyone on the list know the date, or know where the seal is published? Can I appeal to any list members in Warsaw to check the label for me? This is the one object that I haven't been able to fully index.

all best,
Genevra

home page: http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com
historical archive: http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/archive-1.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion