Thanks Jim. Yes, there are (or were) quite a few Italian 14thC tombs like
that- Henry VII in the apse at Pisa, and Boniface VIII (who incorporated
his tomb into a shrine for St. Boniface)- and the tomb I'm considering
(Enrico Scrovegni's in Padua) is also in the apse behind the high altar.
And yes, passers by were asked to pray for the deceased, as well as priests
who were obviously paid to do so.  But I'd never imagined them kneeling
before the tomb to pray, precisely because it so closely resembles the kind
of kneeling in adoration (of the host, or of a saint depicted there) that
one might expect at an altar. Kneelers in front of tombs just somehow seems
wrong!

The arrangements for prayers for the founder and his family at Ewelme are
really interesting because, if I recall rightly from Goodall's book, the
almsmen had to gather around the tomb for daily prayers, and those prayers
consisted of mental prayers (ie they were told to think of the founder and
effectively beam positive thoughts at him), rather than formal ones that
were read or recited.  There's nothing in the statutes that I recall that
required them to kneel, but maybe it was just assumed that you kneel when
you pray.  Since writing my query, I've found a tomb inscription that asks
passers-by to kneel *and* to pray, which is suggestive.

Still, if anyone knows of any tombs in their original settings with
kneelers/prie-dieus I'm still interested to hear of them.

all best

Laura

Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art
Birkbeck College, University of London

For details of my book on Giotto and the Arena Chapel see
http://www.brepols.net/Pages/ShowProduct.aspx?prod_id=IS-9781905375127-1