---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenny Barraclough <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM
Subject: My short season at the BFI
To: [log in to unmask]

Come along to the BFI season starting tomorrow/ -

Just to remind you that the BFI is putting on three evenings of my films at the NFT, starting tomorrow Wednesday 11th March  and I'd be delighted if you came along.
 It was hard to choose out of 45years or so of making documentaries and I tried to make the evenings entertaining.  Looking back I realised I have always been moved by the heroic underdogs, by seemingly unimportant people doing surprising things, by people battling for what they feel is right.  And also by the funny side of things - its hard to take all subjects seriously all the time - and I love to get under the skin of important people.

 On Wednesday March 11th at 6.10, NFT 3 there will be' Gale is Dead' which became something of a cult film in the early 70's and actually changed government policy. That's followed by 'And the Queen Passed By' -a rather irreverent film I shot unofficially while making a serious film about the Queen for BBC1 in 1983 - including rude callypsos, instruction on how to curtsy and  Shakira Caine asking Michael what dress she should wear for the royal banquet.
On Friday March 13 NFT 2 at 6.20 pm- "Go Tell it to the Judge " - the inside story of how a group of Pacific Islanders come to London to seek justice,  resulting in the longest and most expensive case in British legal history.  The film's impact on public opinion actually changed the result of the case.
 That's followed by "Iron in the Soul" set in Jamaica, starting with the scandalous diary of the sexual exploits, and punishments inflicted, by an early plantation owner, followed by a rich cast of characters in Jamaica today.

On Wednesday March 18 NFT3 at 6.10pm 'Mr Attenborough and Mr Gandhi' , an interweaving of the often silly, chaotic business of film making with the deeply moving figure of Gandhi. This is followed by documentary maker Roger Graef interviewing me about my life making films - illustrated along the way by a clip from a film I made about Mrs Thatcher living in No 10, partly shot in her kitchen, and another, shot in 1981 about the little known Robert Mugabe when he first moved into Ian Smith's old house in Salisbury, illustrating how profoundly power can change a personality.

 I do hope you'll be able to come along.
You can see the programmes described and book tickets on the BFI website.

MeCCSA recommends that the list be used only for posting of information (for example about events, publications, conferences, lectures) of interest to members or to promote discussion of current issues of wide general interest in the field. Posts to the MeCCSA mailing list are public, indexed by Google, and can be accessed from the JISCMail website (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/meccsa.html).

Any messages posted to the list are subject to the JISCMail acceptable use policy, which states that users should avoid “engaging in unreasonable behaviour, or disrupting the general flow of discussion on a list.”

For further information, please visit: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/