Andrew,

I would suggest moving in a Linked Data direction, rather than inventing
yet another API with its own set of rules and data formats.

One simple first step you could take is to create simple persistent
identifiers for each object in your collection.  As an example, the
National Trust (which uses the same underlying CMS software as you) has
identifiers like this on its collection search site:

http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/446824

which 'dereference' (as the current jargon has it) to a web page
describing the object in question.  This makes it easy for people to
bookmark objects and quote them, using /National Trust/// URLs rather
than URLs of their own invention.  A corresponding item URL from your
collection would be:

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search#/1/collection/606546/felipe-iii

which contains both search-specific information and gratuitous
descriptive text.  This is much less useful as a bookmark.

Going beyond this, I would suggest implementing Linked Data content
negotiation on these URLs, and the delivery of machine-processible
versions of your collections data.  This would make your collections
available in the same way as a custom API would, but using standard web
protocols and delivery formats.

Best wishes,

Richard

--
*Richard Light*

I've done the Big London Night (half marathon) Walk 2015 for the Big
Issue Foundation:
can you please support them? :-
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RichardBrianLight

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg