Dear colleagues,

Barbara Olla and I are organising one or more panels on Ideology, politics and power in Italian Literature for the next SIS Conference (Oxford, 28-30 September 2015). If interested, please send an abstract of 250-300 words (along with a short bio) to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] by 4 March 2015.

Princely ideology, politics and power in Italian literature

Political and philosophical thought has always contributed to enrich and enhance the literary debate surrounding the theory and practice of political power. This panel seeks to examine interactions among politics, philosophy and literature throughout different periods of Italian history, with a specific focus on the ideal image of ‘the prince’ as a literary and ideological figure. Our goal is to analyze the development of this political figure in the Italian literary tradition, from the medieval era to the modern age. In literary and philosophical contexts, the princely image has often been linked to the rise of new political systems and their intimate need for legitimacy. The literary making of this political figure is likewise connected with the will and necessity to create a theory of consensus  one that is ultimately aimed at maintaining political control. ‘The prince’, therefore, becomes a vehicle of persuasion and propaganda, taking on a crucial role in the establishment of a relationship between dominus and dominati.

We welcome papers from different research areas which include, but are not limited to, the following topics:
  • Relations between politics and literature
  • The prince as an ideal image
  • The figure of the prince and his charismatic legitimacy
  • The building of consensus through literary vehicles
  • The image of the leader in literary works
  • Intersections between politics and morality
  • Literary expressions of political dissent
  • The creation of political utopias

Best wishes,
Barbara Olla (St. Peter’s College, University of Oxford) and Marta Celati (St. Edmund Hall, University of Oxford)
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies