From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carlisle, Philip
Sent: 13 March 2015 09:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Anyone using ARCHES - Getty/WMF Project

Hi Jon,

My understanding is that Arches 3.0 is the underlying platform which includes a CIDOC-CRM compliant graph database and a SKOS-compliant Reference Data Manager.

Currently the Arches platform is being used for a variety of uses with purpose-built packages, recording modules if you will, plugged into core Arches. If memory serves the first commercial user of Arches is Caltrans - the California Department of Transportation who are using it internally to manage the road infrastructure for the whole of California.

The latest implementation which is more relevant to Cultural Heritage is HistoricPlacesLA.

This is built on Arches 3.0 with a Heritage Inventory Package (HIP) 1.0 which handles the recording forms.

HistoricPlacesLA is the public facing front end for SurveyLA which is tasked with identifying Historic Resources and Districts within the City of Los Angeles, this involves visiting 800,000 parcels of land and evaluating whether the buildings and sites are worth recording. As you can imagine with such a vast number of sites this project is ongoing.

HistoricPlacesLA currently holds 18,608 Historic Resources (mainly buildings) and 159 Historic Districts (similar to our conservation areas) see http://www.historicplacesla.org/

Any UK implementation would obviously need to modify the HIP to meet UK needs as it is currently focused on allowing sites to be recorded and evaluated according to US standards.

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

Data Standards Unit, Designations Department

English Heritage

The Engine House

Fire Fly Avenue

Swindon