Hi all, S. Warren Carey was a fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences (quick chase on Internet will show you all this), fought bravely in WW2, was the foundation professor of geology at UTas, and convened the first conference on continental drift in 1957. One of his wheels (expanding earth) was very wonky, but he had plenty of other wheels and his chariot was seemingly at the front of the race for a while.

You could argue that the awarding of Australian Academy of Sciences Fellowships is no better or worse than being awarded a Rhodes Scholarship (this is a lame attempt to bring levity regarding the origins of our Stellenboscher geo-metamorphism member of prominence). At least two Australian prime ministers have been awarded Rhodes Scholarships and at least one of these has spoken a large amount of drivel. Probably several other Academy fellows have too.

I think this conversation has indeed been enjoyable for reminding us about the scientific process, even if triggered by an acolyte not likely to be awarded an Academy Fellowship or Rhodes Scholarship. Carey was apparently perceived as a true scientific innovator for a while, and there is a generation of former students, now all roughly 65 to 70 years old, who could testify.

(I can still hear JohnC saying 'but drivel is drivel'. At least it was honest drivel at the time).

Nick Oliver

Adjunct Professor of Economic Geology, James Cook University, and Director, Holcombe Coughlin Oliver
Consultants, Structural and Hydrothermal Geology
www.holcombecoughlinoliver.com
+61-417764880