And here's the responses from a much older enquiry. Once again, apologies for the delay in feeding back.

I asked about museums that had a warm front-of-house welcome or of any museums who had been doing any training of their front-of-house in family friendliness in particular. Give yourself a pat on the back if your museum was mentioned!
Laura Travis of Museums SheffieldThis is something that we are looking at at Museums Sheffield. As our structure has changed over the years many staff who initially began in Visitor Service roles at our art gallery now work regularly at our museum site which has a much larger family audience. Some families do of course visit the art gallery but because of access issues in the building we don’t get as many and I think their motivations for visiting are different. Many of the team are very good at working with families but I would like to be able to give all the team the same training so that they all have the same base to work from.

Jenni Waugh was very helpful - thanks Jenni!
Last summer, on a visit to Compton Verney with a group of 3 adult friends and 6 children aged from 4 months to 13 years,  we were delighted by the warm, family friendly welcome from staff who volunteered ingenious ways for the kids to get closer to the art and get more out of even the 1500 year old Chinese bronzes than I thought possible (we were in that gallery alone for 20 minutes!).  We had gone there for a play in the grounds and the Moore/Rodin sculpture trail, and instead spent the bulk of the 6 hour visit in the galleries.

Museum of London and the Museum of Liverpool FoH teams are brilliant   - open, friendly and well informed.  Lots of meeters and greeters in the foyer, and a discreet presence around the galleries.  And they talk to the children properly (not coo at them).

In other news - I have had wonderful welcomes over the last 12 months at NT Croft Castle, NT Dunham Massey, Lyme Regis Museum, and...

*shameless plug alert*...

... as a trustee, I am delighted to report that our front of house/tour guide volunteers at Newman Brothers at the Coffin Works, are receiving flattering reviews from family visitors on Trip Advisor since we opened in October 2014.

Some really good work happening out there!

Kim Biddulph
Workshop Development Manager, Kids in Museums

Book now! Kids in Museums Workshops

Children and Young People as Tour Guides, 25th June, The Wallace Collection,
London

Youth Panel Workshop, 29th June, White Cube, London

Teen Workshop, 17th September, ZSL London Zoo

www.kidsinmuseums.org.uk/workshops

CAN Mezzanine

49 - 51 East Road

London N1 6AH