Dear all

Here are the responses I received to this enquiry.

'...ways in which digital technology in museums and galleries is being used creatively for classroom learning ...'

Message sent to GEM, DLNET and MCG lists on 16 March 2015:

Hello

Can you suggest any recent or particularly good examples of the topic below (posed by MA students)  for a short session on Wednesday?

What are the ways in which digital technology in museums and galleries is being used creatively for classroom learning either prior to or after a visit... Gallery visits always seem somehow separate from what is happening in the classroom?

The point about visits seeming separate from the classroom experience is a useful observation.  I would emphasise 'effectively' rather than 'creatively' - a point for discussion in itself, perhaps.

I'll post a summary of responses to the list; if you don't want to be quoted, please let me know when you email.

Martin

Martin Bazley

Digital heritage consultant

Martin Bazley & Associates

15 Margin Drive

Wimbledon

SW19 5HA

0780 3580 727

www.martinbazley.com

Museums Computer Group <[log in to unmask]>; on behalf of; Caroline Maclennan <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but Imagination Lancaster and the Peter Scott Gallery, Lancaster University received funding to produce an app called Taking the Artwork home.

Part of the Peter Scott Gallery collection has been digitised and can be accessed through the app.

The app enables users to view the collection outside the gallery via their android screens.

However, what's interesting is the app uses Mobile Augmented Reality and users are able to view the artworks as if they were part of their immediate environment.

Existing posters, artworks, signs can be replaced digitally with a PSG collection item.

More info here.

http://imagination.lancs.ac.uk/activities/Taking_Artwork_Home

The app is available to download if you wanted to have a go.

Hope this helps,

Caroline

Hello Martin

The first, and possibly most obvious example, would be to look at the British Museum's dedicated learning websites.  The Museum of London also used digital technology quite a bit so I would also suggest looking at them.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/learning.aspx

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/schools

Regards

Jo Willis (MA. BA Hons.)

Senior Museum Learning Assistant

Museums Worcestershire

The Commandery, Sidbury, Worcester, WR1 2HU

Tel: 01905 361821

Email: [log in to unmask]

S Ni Foghluda <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Martin,

For my two-cents worth, I'd emphasise that there really does need to be more research into how teachers are using digital technology/resources outside the museum.  There does seem to be a frequent case of creating these resources and either launching them in the gallery or online, and then little feedback/evidence on how they are actually being used.

The example that springs to mind is the NaturePlus offer from the Natural History Museum.  The idea behind the cards, collecting data to access after a visit, is good and there has been a good take up, but little insight into whether or how this is being used for classroom learning.

Some data: http://www.archimuse.com/mw2010/papers/barry/barry.html

Kind regards,

Sorcha