Hi John,

Please, see below:

On 6 March 2015 at 22:20, John Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Anderson,
>
> Fortunately, I was able to get this model set up in FEAT alright -- I did
> some of the editing directly to the .fsf file in gedit to get around the
> lag issues. Thanks for the tips.
>
> If you don't mind, I have two follow-up questions:
>
> 1) I want to do another related analysis to the model you had sent
> previously. For this analysis, I want to pool all the subjects together
> into one big group (only one group, not two) and simply ask if, across all
> categories of facial expression, the activation to faces is greater than
> zero. This should be an F test, and I believe the model for this is a
> simplified version of the one you already set up for me. I have prepared an
> example of this model with seven subjects in the attached spreadsheet. The
> output of interest is the "F1" test at the bottom, which should indicate
> whether the activation is greater than zero across face categories. Can you
> let me know if this model setup looks correct?

Looks fine. When running, keep using the "--permuteBlocks" option, and also
include the option "-1", so that only sign-flippings are used. This is FMRI
so the assumption of independent and symmetric errors is likely to be
valid, so sign-flippings can be used.

> 2) Going back to the original model you supplied where we looked at group
> differences, I noticed the group contrasts tested whether Group 1 > Group 2
> for each condition. Do I need to include a separate set of contrasts if I
> want to test whether Group 2 > Group 1 for each condition? I know that when
> doing two-group mean comparisons, one generally looks both ways to compare
> groups (i.e., -1 1 and 1 -1). But I'm wondering about this in the context
> of the F test: Would it have been equivalent to set up the contrasts as
> Group 2 > Group 1, and then run an F test on these "reverse" contrasts? Or
> would I need to separately analyze F tests of the two possible sets of
> contrasts (one set where Group 1 > Group 2, the other set where Group 2 >
> Group 1) to consider group effects arising from differences in either
> direction (i.e., which group has higher activation)? Hopefully this
> question made sense.

If you only look at the F-test, there's no need to add the reverse
contrasts, as the F-test already looks into both directions. However, if
you go on to investigate the each of the individual t-tests (e.g., if the
F-test is significant), you'll probably want to add the other, reverse
contrasts. There's no need to add another F-test with these other
contrasts, neither modify the current F1.

All the best,

Anderson