Dear All,
The (late) January 2015 newsletter of the International Society for Evidence-based Health Care is now available at the Society's Website:
http://www.isehc.net/?page_id=7
Our apologies for the delay - grant writing season has hit us hard.
Also the November issue was missing from the website - so a bonus read.
If you are interested in submitting an article for the April ISEHC newsletter - an editorial, a teaching tip or exercise, an EBM resource review, a regional report, or an original research or viewpoint piece, please email one of the editors:
Jason Busse - [log in to unmask]
Gordon Guyatt -  [log in to unmask]
Paul Glasziou - [log in to unmask]
The Editor's CHoice is below
Happy reading
Paul Glasziou

Editor's Choice
Our apologies for the late newsletter. The CREBP team has been up to our ears in grant submissions. Last year's ISEHC conference in Taipei was fantastic: hundreds of delegates, and a great program that showcased the continuing evolution of EBM. In that vein, the editorial is a summary of my opening plenary on "Six Proposals for the Future of EBM". A vote at the end suggested an interest in all of them. But we will certainly see lots of shared decision making at the forthcoming joint ISDM and ISEHC conference in Sydney (details at the back of the newsletter) which has had 452 abstract submissions!
I hope many of you have already posted comments/letters in PubMedCommons? This is a great NLM initiative which overcomes the time and space constraints journals place on letters about specific articles. Now the NLM is extending this idea to include Journal Club presentations posted on PubMed (but also set up as a collection), again improving visibility of comment on published research. Melissa Vaught has written an article and instructions in this issue - please sign up! And Melissa's colleague at the NLM, Hilda Bastian has another great statistical cartoon and blog - this time on composite outcomes in trials.
In teaching, we have two important things. First, is the EU-UNITY program for online teaching of EBM which the authors have kindly made freely available, and Dragan Ilic in Melbourne has kindly hosted - see the article for details and URLs. Second, there is a systematic review on teaching of EBM to medical trainees.
In one of the most important articles published last year, Tammy Hoffmann and Chris Del Mar reviewed 35 studies of how well patient's expectations of benefits and harms matched the actual benefits and harms found in trials. They didn't match: patients mostly overestimated benefits and underestimated harms, which goes a long way to explaining why we have such an epidemic of overtreatment. And it also helps illustrate the need for better patient information and shared decision making. The article received a lot of media commentaries (including the New York Times) and a couple are appended to the abstract.
Sadly, we are about to lose DARE, the Database of Reviews of Effects, but Sarah Thorning and John Rathbone tell you about some other options. Less sadly is the huge range of EBM events this. EvidenceLive is in Oxford next month, then we have the joint ISEHC-ISDM meeting in Sydney, the always delightful Sicily EBHC Conference, the 3rd PreventingOverdiagnosis conference, an EQUATOR meeting focused on the Waste in Research (based on the Lancet series), and the annual Cochrane meeting. I hope you can make at least one or two of these - they will all be great.