From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board on behalf of Catrin Ashton
Sent: Sat 2/28/2015 18:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question for those organising acreditted community classes

Hi Dominic,There was a post about this recently - was that from you as well?As others replied, this sounds very much like an institutional thing to me.All I can add is that a lady from Trinity came to tell us about their new exams but didn't mention anything about this. All she did say was that in order to get the overarching certificate, candidates need to pass all four modes at the same level, which is a different issue entirely.At our institution (large FE college), learners in the same class can be entered for different modes at different levels, but this must be the same as their qualaim which has to be entered on their ILR and submitted to somebody (maybe the SFA?) early on in the term. We (teachers) decide what the qualaim will be based on diagnostic testing, what learners have passed already and what we think they can achieve. Maybe where you work someone in admin gives all the learners in the class the same qualaim?Catrin