Another plea to sign this petition. This is a serious threat to FE and therefore much ESOL provision.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sean Vernell <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: 4 March 2015 13:13:15 GMT
To: UCU activists e-group <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [activists] Save lifelong learning: sign the petition - 7.000 and climbing

Just over 7,000 people have signed the petition to save Adult Learning since Friday. This is an excellent start. Let see if we can get 10,000 by Friday. Please sign if you have not done so yet and pass on to others.

Dear colleague

Calling further and higher education members – help save lifelong learning, sign the petition

Anyone who cares about education will have been shocked by last week’s announcement that the government intend to cut up to 24% from the English adult further education budget. UCU estimates that this will lead to the loss of more than 400,000 college learners, and this will decimate further education provision across England while putting thousands of UCU members’ jobs at risk.

But this is not just an issue for those who work in further education (FE). UCU has joined with a large number of trade union and employer organisations to campaign against these cuts.

Our first move is to launch a major petition to save FE in England: http://www.ucu.org.uk/fefunding<https://list.mercury.ucu.org.uk/t/135945/1178254/1868/0/>

Whether you work in a college or a university please join me in signing the petition and passing the link on to your family, friends and colleagues too.

The opportunity to access education at any age is an essential part of a civilised society and we must act together to defend this right.

Please support our campaign and sign the petition<https://list.mercury.ucu.org.uk/t/135945/1178254/1868/0/>.

Thank you.

Sally Hunt
UCU general secretary

________________________________

About this mailing:
We are currently emailing you at: [log in to unmask] If this address needs updating, please note your membership number A204021 and update your record using our eServices website<https://members.ucu.org.uk?&utm_source=ucu-members._all&utm_medium=email&utm_term=LE045&utm_content=html&utm_campaign=lyr-Save%20lifelong%20learning:%20sign%20the%20petition>.

Unsubscribe:
We would very much wish for you to continue receiving important messages from UCU. However, if you wish to stop receiving all messages, send a blank email to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

If you have problems unsubscribing - as can happen if your email differs from the one we have for you - please forward this email requesting you be unsubscribed to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

==

Support your colleagues, support your union<http://www.ucu.org.uk/campaigns?&utm_source=ucu-members._all&utm_medium=email&utm_term=LE045&utm_content=html&utm_campaign=lyr-Save%20lifelong%20learning:%20sign%20the%20petition>

Join us online:
on twitter<http://twitter.com/ucu> | on facebook<http://facebook.com/ucu.campaigns>

Keep up-to-date:
subscribe to UCU's weekly website email or news feeds<http://www.ucu.org.uk/stayupdated?&utm_source=ucu-members._all&utm_medium=email&utm_term=LE045&utm_content=html&utm_campaign=lyr-Save%20lifelong%20learning:%20sign%20the%20petition>

Donate to the UCU Fighting Fund<http://www.ucu.org.uk/fightingfund?&utm_source=ucu-members._all&utm_medium=email&utm_term=LE045&utm_content=html&utm_campaign=lyr-Save%20lifelong%20learning:%20sign%20the%20petition>

[http://files.candi.ac.uk/images/City-and-Islington_Email-Footer.jpg]

City and Islington College Beacon Status, rated as outstanding by Ofsted and winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize 2007. Disclaimer: This email, including any attachments, is intended for the recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied, otherwise used by any other person. The content of this email is that of the author and does not necessarily represent the views of the college. For further information visit our website http://www.candi.ac.uk

________________________________

List settings
Please reply-all to reply to the list. Unsubscribe by sending a blank email to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> - alternatively, and to change your list delivery options, please refer to: http://www.ucu.org.uk/listoptions. If you have problems unsubscribing, as can happen if your 'from' address differs from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, your registered address, please email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> clearly stating the short name of this list: activists

Disclaimer
Please note that the views and advice posted within this forum are those of the sender and not necessarily those of national UCU, nor can we accept responsibility for any advice given. If in doubt, you are advised to contact your regional office. This list is a private discussion forum hosted by UCU for the exclusive use of UCU members. No material from this list may be reproduced without the express permission of the original poster. Please keep messages pertinent, and don't be rude or offensive. The list owner reserves the right to remove your posting privileges and/or your list membership. UCU has taken steps to ensure that any attachments are free from viruses. You should, however, carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. UCU accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software viruses.

---

Join us online:
http://twitter.com/ucu | http://facebook.com/ucu.campaigns

Keep up-to-date: subscribe to UCU's weekly website email or find our news feeds at:
http://www.ucu.org.uk/stayupdated

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to