Please share widely:

Next Friday's event will feature panel presentations from disabled young adults and policymakers, as well as workshops for participants to share strategies and plan priorities for advocacy around access in information, communication, and technology. All are welcome to attend!

Community Forum on Accessible Information & Communication Technology

Recognizing the importance of accessible information and communication technology (ICT) to young adults with disabilities, the Washington Metro Disabled Students Collective (WMDSC) and the Accessibility and Innovation Initiative of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will host a "Community Forum on Accessible ICT" on Friday, April 3, 2015.

The event will run from 11 AM to 3 PM at the 8th floor conference room of the U.S. Access Board, located at 1331 F St. NW, Washington, DC 20004.

FCC staff, students with disabilities, and other community members will discuss learning management systems, videos, mobile apps, social media, and other technologies that help young adults with disabilities communicate in school, social, and job settings. Panelists and attendees will discuss current problems with ICT accessibility and propose solutions.

The Washington Metro Disabled Students Collective (WMDSC, pronounced "whim-disk") seeks to unite disabled students/students with disabilities throughout the Washington Metro area (including Maryland and Northern Virginia) to collaborate in organizing for disability access, equality, and inclusion on our campuses. We strive to work intersectionally across queer, trans*, gender, race, class, immigration, and faith issues through organizing for disability rights. More information about WMSDC is available at http://DisabledStudentsDC.org/

FEATURED SPEAKERS:

Julia Bascom
Director of Programs
Autistic Self Advocacy Network

Jaggar DeMarco
Intern, National Council on Independent Living
Student, George Washington University

Eddie Martinez, Jr.
Deaf-Blind Service Coordinator
Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind

ACCESS INFORMATION:

The meeting site is fully accessible to people using wheelchairs or other mobility aids. Sign language interpreters, open captioning, and assistive listening devices will be provided on site.

Other reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon request. Include a description of the accommodation you will need and tell us how to contact you if we need more information. Make your request as early as possible. Last minute requests will be accepted, but may be impossible to fill. Send an e-mail to:[log in to unmask] or call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (tty).

Lydia Brown
[log in to unmask]" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Direct: +1 (202) 618-0187
Cell: +1 (781) 854-6346

"I take risk by acting out of love and a framework of intersectionality. I listen, I speak up, I show up, I am vulnerable and I dream. I practice living by the quote: speak the truth even if your voice shakes."
— Ki'tay D. Davidson