From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alison Stenning [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 March 2015 10:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ethnography/participant observation films - a list

Dear all,

As promised, here is a compilation of the huge range of ethnography films suggested to me (with some cut and pasting from emails to me):

Jane Dyson's Lifelines: http://www.lifelinesfilm.com/about

Jon Anderson's qualitative methodology podcasts, including one on ethnography:
http://www.spatialmanifesto.com/methodology-projects/qualitative-methods-podcasts

Judith Butler's Examined Life film (which I love and show at another point in my module) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HZaPkF6qE

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HZaPkF6qE>Kate Hardy's work on the UK stripping industry where they get dancers to comment in a form of dual-ethnography (researcher and auto-ethnography) about the physical layout of the strip club and the meanings of the images that dancers themselves selected. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqIhWD8UQk

The Visual Sociology BSA study group website: http://visualsociology.org.uk/resources/index.php

Sage Publication's Methodspace, for example, http://www.methodspace.com/video/video/search?q=ethnography

Lots of recommendations for Kitchen Stories (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323872/, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Stories, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAch_CwKyjI) and a review Wulff, D., George, S. S., Harper-Jaques, S., & Jaques, L. Kitchen Stories: A Review. (2012). The Qualitative Report 17, Review #19, 1-10http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR17/wulff.pdf

And lots too for WH Whyte's "The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces" - there's lots of version on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcoVuoHnGBE) and also lots of other, shorter films based on it.

And a short film on a 'walking contest' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfxHLYo47Eg

"Into the Field" by Alyssa Grossman is an excellent film about nuns in rural Romania (I know not 'western' or urban), but it's great because it has a meta-commentary on fieldwork practices (ethics, emotion, etc.) that runs parallel to the 'story' of the film.

Jean Rouch's La pyramide humaine -The Human Pyramid- (1961) is a brilliant example of a “shared ethnography”, the observation, the experience of the subjects projected outward, not only sharing the research process but also involving them in its creation.

Thanks so much to everyone who sent me ideas - I've yet to really look at them all and decide what to use, but there's so many different ideas here - thank you!

I hope this list is helpful for others too - and I'd of course be interested in any other suggestions...

Best wishes,
Alison

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Professor Alison Stenning
Chair in Social and Economic Geography
School of Geography, Politics and Sociology
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU

Tel: +44 191 208 8017
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.ncl.ac.uk/gps/staff/profile/alison.stenning

PLEASE NOTE: MY WORKING DAYS ARE MONDAY, TUESDAY
AND WEDNESDAY. I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESPOND TO
EMAIL ON THURSDAYS AND FRIDAYS.