Mark

The Australian NEPM 2013 amendment includes Management Limits for petroleum hydrocarbons which were derived to be protective in respect of the issues you describe; eg potential formation of explosive vapours, LNAPL and aesthetic problema such as odour.

I would also advocate atmospheric monitoring to be carried out during the work using a lower explosive limit (LEL) meter with appropriate alarm limits set so that work can be stopped well before any explosive atmospheres might occur.

There are also a number of safety procedures required by the larger oil companies for hot works to be carried out around fuel storage infrastructure which would also assist you develop control measures for your work.

Kind regards
Andre-Karl Smit
Principal Consultant
GHD Pty Ltd, Sydney

Sent on the go with Vodafone

The reason for my question is that I have a contractor asking if cutting down pile heads using an oxy-acetylene torch is a H&S risk.  Levels of hydrocarbons in soil are low and of weathered petrol and the work will take place in an open air environment at ground level.