Ronnie

I see a lot of cheap and expensive microscopes, and I notice that expensive
is not always better for protein crystallization.

Almost the most important thing is that illumination comes from *one
particular direction*.  Often this means that the light source is small and
far from the sample stage.  What does not work well is to have a large
light source (eg multiple LEDs, large white screen, mirror or sintered
transparent sheet) that is close to the sample - even with the best optics
in the world, you won't see crystals well.

Dark ground (see only scattered light) and ordinary transmission mode can
both work well - good to have both if possible.

Good luck,

Patrick

On 27 March 2015 at 13:08, Ronnie Berntsson <[log in to unmask]

--
 [log in to unmask]    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36