Thank you for your comments everyone.

The CCP4BB is a wonderful resource and it has answered several questions that have been bothering me for years!

Tristran has given us the correct conclusion as well as the important facts: the capacity of oil for holding O2 is high, but the diffusion rate is low.

This makes complete sense of the observations reported.  The O2 is (slowly) diffusing OUT of the permanganate drop, and the oil is already saturated with O2, therefore it takes a long time for the purple colour to be lost.

The O2 is diffusing INTO the drop in the dithionite experiment, and presumably the oil that Julia used was already loaded with O2, so the reducing environment was quickly lost.

I hadn't figured out how to take advantage of the protection of oil - I just had a vague feeling that it might be helpful.  Now however I can see that it's useful, because the oil will provide quite good protection against a pulse of O2 e.g. if someone accidentally lets air into the chamber.  (Or moves plates from one glovebox to another?)  O2 will start to diffuse into the oil, but most of it will diffuse out again if the O2 pulse is short.  And the lids that are standard on microbatch plates will help a lot.

(The oil is almost the ideal barrier, although you might prefer something with a very low solubility since it might give a lower O2 flux in the steady state - as Tristran says it's complicated.  And I'm guessing that the O2 flux through the thin plastic tape used in vapor diffusion setups would be quite high.  Does anyone have a friend who works in food science?)

There's an even more exciting conclusion: we should degass our oil even for use with aerobic microbatch setups.  I have heard of a case where diffracting crystals were only obtained for aerobic targets in a glovebox, and I think the skins on drops are, or can be, related to oxidation.

There may even be mileage in microbatch with the zip lock bag approach for targets that are not overly sensitive - if you degas your oil before you start .... a vacuum should do it.

I agree that Al's Oil (silicone) should be avoided from this point of view - although I would certainly use it anyway for screening experiments (whether aerobic or anaerobic).

Riveting stuff.

Thx to all, Patrick