Thanks for this Max
Hoppy was well known in the Grove for the Free School and other struggles including the early Notting Hill Carnival
Michael

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Community Support <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi everyone

Did anyone here know John 'Hoppy' Hopkins? We helped him with printing over 30 years ago, as we helped many others.

I thought I knew about the range of his work, until I saw the book Carnival, by Ishmael Blagrove last August and found  references to his links with Rhaune Laslett and Notting Hill Carnival. When I tried to contact him again was told he was already too ill. Sad to hear belatedly of his death.

Never knew that he had photographed Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, and that Ornette Coleman stayed at his house.

I recommend people explore the obituaries below and check the film interviews. For younger readers, note that there was a lot more to that period than flower power, drug abuse and rock bands from Liverpool.

Strangely, nothing on BIT or the amazing BIT magazine, which came out of International Times and which I consider as a precursor of the world wide web (just imagine thick wads of Gestetnered pages crammed with often random information).

We have many examples from this period in our archives.

Would like to know more about his general attitudes and philosophy.

comments welcome

Max Boucher
Community Support

BBC Radio 4: Last word:
Film interviews:
Community Support, 37 Hampson Way, London SW8 1HX.

Michael