You are absolutely right! Teaching training need to change. I give lectures to PGCE students on differences and diversity in schools and I was really surprised to see that the topic of multiculturalism (as it is called) make up only 4 hours in one year of training! 4 hours to cover and explain over 70 years of history (if not more)!

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:34:56 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How not to tackle race Trevor Phillips style | The Voice Online
To: [log in to unmask]

What is missing in all this is what is taught in our schools. If no other peoples but the English  have a history, or a culture, then hierarchy is engendered. And this is a racial hierarchy as at least a little is taught about other Europeans having a history and a culture. And, of course, the racial mixture of many Brits cannot possibly be mentioned!

So we need a radical change in the curriculum and also in the training of teachers.