Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:32:36 +0000
From:    Kiri Ross-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Vacancy - Archives Graduate Trainee, RBG Kew

Dear All,

Please see below for details of this post, which will not be advertised in ARC Recruitment. Please do bring to the attention of anyone who might be interested. For further details and how to apply, see our website:https://careers.kew.org/vacancy/archives-graduate-trainee-211609.html

With best wishes,
Kiri

Kiri Ross-Jones
---------------
Archivist & Records Manager
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Richmond
Surrey, TW9 3AB
Tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5476

Archives Graduate Trainee

We have an exciting opportunity for an Archive Graduate Trainee to join our team in RBG Kew's Library, Art & Archives department. The Archives Team manage the institutional collection of Kew’s historic record of activities, as well as collections and other documents relating to the history of botany and also the organisation of the modern records. The trainee will assist with the full range of archival and records management activities, including dealing with enquiries and readers, repackaging and cataloguing, and will participate in several projects.

Hours of work: Full time
Contract Type: Casual
Contract start date: September 2015
Contract end date: August 2016
Salary: £17,729

Directorate: Public Programmes: Department: Library, Art and Archives

Ref. (post number): 763

Location: Kew Gardens, Richmond

Closing Date: 08/03/2015

More details

Kew is the world-leader in plant diversity science, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and a major visitor attraction, that shows the importance of plants in all our lives. Kew’s mission is to inspire and deliver science-based plant conservation worldwide, enhancing the quality of life.

The Archives Team manage the institutional collection of Kew’s historic record of activities, as well as collections and other documents relating to the history of botany and also the organisation of the modern records. The team ensures the provision of access to the information held within these records to the general public, as required by legislation, and also to Kew staff, enabling them to carry out their day to day work.

This one-year post is open to graduates (and those expecting to graduate in 2015) who intend to pursue a career in archives administration or records management. You will be assisting in the curation of the archival and modern records collection and assisting in providing access to and making those collections available.   You must have ability to plan your own time, work independently and use your own initiative. You will also have excellent written and oral communications skills with experience in dealing with the public.

Contract start date: September 2015