From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alison Cullingford
Sent: 12 March 2015 14:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: More barcodes - University/Library systems

Hello all
Interested to see the barcodes discussion as I have been meaning to ask about this.  As is often the case, we're using a move/refurbishment as an incentive to look at barcoding.   I'm convinced that this will make it much easier to manage archives when they are out of our building and when they return.

We're a small service managing archives and other unique and distinctive materials within a University Library.   We have about 4000 archive boxes to process.  I'm strongly inclined to use the sophisticated functionality of our library management system for several reasons.   Anyone else in a library setting done it this way?  We have Millennium which uses Code 139 barcodes.

All the best
Alison

PS Can't mention barcodes without acknowledging article by Alan Akeroyd, which certainly helped me when I started looking into this.  The Barcode revolution, Journal of the Society of Archivists Vol. 31, No. 1, April 2010, 51-62.

Alison Cullingford
Special Collections Librarian
J.B. Priestley Library
University of Bradford, Bradford.  BD7 1DP.
Tel: +44 (0) 1274 235256

dangerous content by MailScanner<http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
believed to be clean.