Dear all,

the title of my article is slightly misleading. ‘Burg’ refers to a place in Bruges, not directly to a castle (although a fortification was later built there). The ‘bear that lived there’ refers to a popular story about the animal that was the original occupier of the place  and which was killed by the Count of Flanders.

In fact, we found a skull and two femur fragments with cut marks amongst the consumption refuse of this 9th - 10th centrury site. There are no indications that bears were kept in captivity; the species was still present in the forests of Flanders.

all the best,

Anton

Anton Ervynck

onderzoeker natuurwetenschappen

+32 2 553 1830

Afdeling Onderzoek en Bescherming

Onroerend Erfgoed

Koning Albert II-laan 19 bus 5

1210 Brussel

Belgium

P Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to