What an interesting question. I bow to your observation of the frequency of goats over sheep as
farmyard animals in archaeo contexts.

Personal insights:

Goats are generally taller and (in my experience) are easier to milk than sheep - larger teats,
bigger udders (more milk), less far to bend down and little or no wool to move aside to get at the
teats (ie, they have better potential for cleaner milk). Sheep do learn to be friendly and bond to
humans quite easily especially if you hand-rear them (it can be hard to rid yourself of the
attentions of pet lambs, for instance). I don't think there is much difference in bonding re
sheep:humans and goats:humans. Sheep and goats are about equal in their ability to succumb to
"the thousand ills that flesh is heir to" - in the sense that if you buy sheep you should buy a good
shovel too - but goats also have a reputation for longevity.

Climate may be a criterion though as goats are better in hot dry climates than cold ones, and
sheep (modern and modern-historic breeds at least) are better adapted to colder, wetter ones.

Sue
in Cumbria UK