Dear all,

I am looking for finds of medieval captive bears, preferably from the
13th century (yes I know, it is a bit specific). As far as I’m aware,
this seems to be a very rare category of find. So far I’ve only found
one article:

H. Berke, Pathologische Veränderungen an einem Bärenschädel aus der
mittelalterlichen Grabung Albansviertel in Köln (B.R. Deutschland). Acta
Biologica Benrodis 4, 1992, 81–86 (Pathological changes.on a skull of
brown bear from the medieval excavation Albansviertel in Cologne (F. R.
Germany)).

A second promising title would be A. Ervynck, „De beer die woonde op de
burg...“: mens en dier in een vroegmiddeleeuwse versterking. In: H. De
Witte (ed.) De Brugse Burg. Van grafelijke versterking tot moderne
stadskern. Archeo-Brugge 2 (Brugge 1991) 170–180 (The bear that lived in
the castle…), which I try to get via our library.

Does anybody know other titles? I would be also very interested in
literature on medieval bear-pits and/or dancing bears. Any help would be
much appreciated.

Rengert Elburg