Dear Noelle / Ji,

My apologies, you did enter the extra regressors in the correct place. The session regressors look as they do because of the high pass filter (which you have set to quite a low value).

It may or may not make a difference, but to improve accuracy of the filtering on the concatenated design matrix, you might wish to use the following script to estimate the high-pass filter separately for each session in the concatenated design matrix (thanks to Guillaume Flandin for his help with this). Instructions:

1. Create the subject’s concatenated design matrix (SPM.mat)

2. Set the original (not concatenated) number of scans in each session in the script below, and run it while in the same directory as the SPM.mat.

3. Estimate the subject’s SPM.mat.

load('SPM.mat');

%-Create backup

save('SPM_backup.mat', 'SPM', spm_get_defaults('mat.format'));

%-When concatenating sessions, SPM.nscan contains the total number

% of scans. Replace with array of number of scans per session

SPM.nscan = [84 84 84];

s = cumsum([0 SPM.nscan]);

%-High-pass filter

for i=1:numel(SPM.nscan)

    K(i) = struct('HParam', SPM.xX.K(1).HParam,...

                  'row',    s(i) + (1:SPM.nscan(i)),...

                  'RT',     SPM.xY.RT);

end

SPM.xX.K = spm_filter(K);

%-Temporal non-sphericity

SPM.xVi.Vi   = spm_Ce(SPM.nscan,0.2);

SPM.xVi.form = 'AR(0.2)';

save('SPM.mat', 'SPM', spm_get_defaults('mat.format'));

If you review the design matrix now, you may get more accurate results.

Best,

Peter.