My experience is that studios are unpredictable. For my first book I got very cheap permissions for short extracts from some and ridiculous - and non-negotiable - quotes for others (Fox as I recall being the worst) that clearly had no notion of the economics of academic and professional publishing. For my most recent book I just kept the extracts short enough to pass fair use. These were for recent works. You might have more luck with older materials.