Picking up on Mike's comment about whether or not anyone has done a survey of attitudes to engagement within the scientific community, all the UK funders of research are about to do just that.

Following agreement at a UK Public Engagement Forum meeting, a consortium of all the major players in UK research funding came together in 2014 to consider how best to take forward research undertaken in 2005 by the Royal Society on factors affecting engagement by scientists and engineers in science communication.  It was agreed that it would be useful to benchmark the changes in the research community with regard to public engagement since the Royal Society report, which was published in 2006 and to re-run the research survey (with some updates) AND this time aimed at the whole researcher community I.E.  Not just scientists and engineers but also researchers across the arts, humanities and social sciences.

I'm the project manager for the Consortium, based part-time at the Wellcome Trust.  We plan to launch the survey in the late spring so do keep your eyes open.  If anyone wants any further information, please email me at [log in to unmask].

Juliet

Juliet Upton
Interim Executive/Consultant

07811 440918