On 19 Feb 2015, at 09:24, Stephen Ashworth (CHE) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to provide suggestions of people or teams who would be able to put on a science show which would be suitable for a 900 seat theatre. Having exhausted my meagre store of first-hand-knowledge I thought I ought to consult an appropriate community.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received – under the circumstances a prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I present space workshops in schools all across the UK.  One session is called “Space Is Big!” (for obvious reasons!).  It’s an interactive presentation which includes members of the audience coming up to help with demonstrations, including finding the real distance to the Moon, and to the space station, and using a set of inflatable planets to show the solar system and just how many planets we really have - which is not the number that most people think it is!

On that subject I have a presentation called “Is Pluto A Planet?” which looks at the thorny question of the status of our distant cousin.  I look in detail at the IAU definition of a planet and some of its unexpected - and unintentional - consequences.  From that I can give a specific answer.  I won’t say what that is, but as a teaser I can tell you that by the definition, Jupiter is not a planet!
It’s a highly visual presentation which is entertaining as well as informative.  I currently have a dozen bookings for this during 2015 at venues around the UK - I’m thinking of having a T-shirt printed with the tour dates :)

A few questions:
What date(s) is this for?
What time and duration are you looking for?
What age range is this for? I have presented suitably adjusted versions of this to pupils from Reception and KS1 through to A-Level, as well as to adult audiences.
What budget do you have? This is what I do for a living, which also means that you’ll be getting a professional presenter with years of experience, as well as someone who is a recognised space expert.

If anyone would like a which includes information about this session then write to me at jerry.stone2001@ gmail.com  You can see my website for further details.

If you’d like to call me to discuss any of this, my number is 01438 712000.

Regards,
Jerry

Jerry Stone FBIS
Freelance Presenter on Astronomy and Space Exploration

Contact me about space workshops for schools and public lectures on space

Author of "One Small Step", commemorating the first men on the Moon
Founder, The Sir Arthur Clarke Awards
President, The Mars Society UK
Leader of The SPACE Project
STEM Science Ambassador
Interplanetary Poet

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com