Introducing Fulcrum and a pair of workshops

'Fulcrum Arts and Research' are based in Newcastle and I, John Lazarus, am the Director of Research for the group. Workshop news below and more about Fulcrum at end of message.

Public Workshops: Top Tips for Understanding Science

Join Fulcrum practitioners and invited scientists for a series of public workshops to explore a series of ‘Tips for interpreting scientific claims’ (based on a Nature Comment article) aimed at non-scientists, and ultimately at policy makers so that political decisions are better informed by the evidence.

The workshops offer opportunities to:

- Understand how scientists gather and analyse data to draw trustworthy conclusions

·      - Interpret scientific evidence from news media critically

        - Consider how to explain science concepts to others

·      - Create pictures, written responses and performances to illustrate the lessons on interpreting scientific claims

Each science tip will be covered by a pair of workshops. In the first a scientist will introduce the tip and you will engage directly with the concepts before starting to explain them in an artistic medium, with help from Fulcrum practitioners. The second workshop gives you more time to work on and extend your artistic response.

The workshops are open to anyone who is interested in science and the arts - no previous experience of making or understanding art or science is necessary!

The topic for our first pair of workshops is: Correlation and Causation

If two things are associated does that mean one causes the other? How can we study causes? We will look at the relationship between diet and health with Dr Wendy Wrieden, a nutritionist in the Institute of Health & Society at Newcastle University, and an expert in dietary surveys and assessment.

Dates and Venue

Workshop 1: Monday March 9th 2015, 7-9.30pm

Workshop 2: Monday April 13th 2015, 7-9.30pm

Workshop Venue: Culture Lab, King’s Road, Newcastle University campus, NE1 7RU.

Cost: Free, ticketed.

Booking: Please email us at [log in to unmask] if you would like to attend and let us know if you have any special requirements with regards to access etc.

*******

About Fulcrum

Working with practitioners from a range of disciplines we collaborate to create performances, events and workshops, introducing new audiences to research and generating understanding, debate and participation. The audiences for our events take an active role in learning about science and may provide data themselves by replicating scientific studies as subjects. They also work to transmit an understanding of science to others through artistic outputs in the form of writing, performance or visual art.

Our Director of research Dr John Lazarus is at the Centre for Behaviour and Evolution in the Institute of Neuroscience at Newcastle University. Other members of the group have skills in science, theatre, fine art, teaching, writing and project management.

—————————
Dr John Lazarus
Centre for Behaviour and Evolution
Institute of Neuroscience, Henry Wellcome Building
Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Tel. +44 (0)191 208 6648 (messages)
Fax  +44 (0)191 208 5622    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ion/staff/profile/john.lazarus
Centre for Behaviour & Evolution: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/cbe/

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com