A fascinating exchange, as I too wondered from Canada) about that ‘its’..

but since, well, okay…

I liked it, short & to the point, although also wondered, a bit, about ‘giving’ rather than, say, ‘making’ or some such verb….Although reconsidering, maybe it is the best word there…

Doug
On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:17 AM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> aha!
> well in my speech community it is acceptable to use the word of a human.
> Very common oncebut much less so now I'll grant you.
> apart from being an option it's rather useful when one does not know the
> gender of a person

> On 18 February 2015 at 17:09, Max Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> my problem merely?
>>
>> its: relating to or belonging to a certain thing, animal, etc. : made or
>> done by a certain thing, animal, etc.
>>
>> [merriam webster online]

>> On Feb 18, 2015, at 8:25, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> But that suggests they're of a mind and it is unlikely that they are
>>>
>>> I can't see the problem with "its"

>> pleasing

Douglas Barbour

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

that we are only
as we find out we are

	Charles Olson