Few will know of whom I speak.; but it is a moment I wis to mark..

Dr Rosemary Sumner has died.

Rosemary was a senior lecturer at Goldsmiths until her retirement in 1989.
I believe she first joined the staff of Goldsmiths in the late 50s.

I met her first in the early 90s when he son's VOICES FOR 9 was presented
at Royal Court in London

She wrote on Hardy, Golding, Beckett, Lawrence and others; and was for many
years, I believe, a stalwart of the Hardy Soc

She wore her learning lightly; but she had been adept in many languages;
and told that, on leaving school, she was recruited to Bletchley Park where
they gave her three months intense tuition in Japanese before letting her
loose on Japanese signals.

I asked her how many she decoded or how may discoveries she made - it was
never clear what she did and it may have been quite humdrum -- and she said
none; but she would have said that whatever the truth.

After the war, she married and emigrated to South Africa; but, after the
birth of her only child, Stephen known to the world by his fifth name,
Alaric, she separated from her husband - he left her when the baby arrived
- and returned to UK.

She taught for a while at Neill's Summerhill. She described teaching with
the baby in a pram beside her.

At some point she spent some months in Sweden on an educational project.

She was mother, as I say, to Alaric Sumner, artist and writer (remembered
now mainly for Waves on Porthmeor Beach with the late Sandra Blow R A) who
died in March 2000 aged 52, a loss from which Rosemary never really
recovered.

Alaric bought a house with her in St Ives in Cornwall and she moved there
in 1990. Then, within a few years, he spent a year away in Leeds studying
at the university; and a few years later he had taken accommodation in
Totnes, Devon while he taught at Dartington College, some years before its
move to Falmouth; and he tended to spend much of his time in Devon
returning for weekends and holidays.

Throughout the 1990s, Rosemary punctuated her days and weeks by walks,
especially along the cliffs to Zennor.

Her last years were quite sad and probably lonely. She was increasingly
unwell from the early years of this century; and her last professional work
was a book review in 2004.

I am not sure that she had adjusted to her move from London, seeming quite
isolated; it had been Alaric's idea. She read much of the time until the
concentration was beyond her; and then she relied upon Radio 3. Put in care
by those to whom she entrusted her well-being, she was often left to
Classics FM or silence. Few visited.
She died in her sleep on Monday 9 February 2015. A date has yet to be fixed
for her funeral.