Terry,

I think you are kind of getting wound around in circles by your phrasing.

Abduction at the bare bones level is the accumulation of facts in a given situation that lead you towards a plausible explanation within the context of that situation. The plausible explanation plays the role of “hypothesis” - because its not a proven “fact”. (Of course if you put on your scientist hat, then what you typically would be thinking now is not about proving the hypothesis, but ways to falsify it. If you are “Sherlock Holmes” on the other hand, a plausible explanation is what you are looking for. )

 —jon—