Dear Carlos,

Usually usually means something isn’t a categorical claim. I happen to prefer anecdotal testimony by people I respect (Poincare among others) to opinions with no scientific claims or reasoned arguments to report.

If you would like some evidence of how I think creativity can be consciously addressed, please look at "Creativity in Design Thinking" and "Creative Strategies” both at www.independent.academia <http://www.independent.academia/>.edu/charlesburnette  This does not refute my statement about the role of the subconscious in creativity. For that please look at “Intuition, Imagination, and insight in a Theory of Design thinking. Since, the switch from subconscious to conscious thought occurs in 200-300 milliseconds, there is not a disconnect between them. (See Dehaene, 2014 Consciousness and the Brain: ...)  I theorize that emotional salience stemming from unmet needs and desires triggers preconscious thought which subconsciously develops purposeful thought until it “ignites" consciousness in response to appropriate cues - a direction for thought (intuition), a plausable explanation (insight), etc. A thought develops toward conclusion subconsciously until access to language, conscious reasoning, and intentional behavior is required.

Or, so I believe
Chuck

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Carlos Pires <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On 2015-02-10 16:52, Charles Burnette wrote:
>
>> ... Creative
>> ideas are usually developed subconsciously
>
> Dear Charles,
>
> A quick comment: though the above statement echoes a common belief among many people, I don't think this has been established scientifically.
> This is a too unstable terrain for one to make such categorical claims.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carlos

Charles Burnette