Dear all,

I would like to check whether the following story, that I heard from
a well-known professional, is true or one of these legends that run
every now and then.

Here it goes :
some time ago (more than a decade for sure), a meeting between
scientists, designers, semioticians and local communities was
organised by some institution in the US. The issue was about the
information system and signage for a landfill that should contain
long life (> thousands of years) radioactive waste.
At some point, the discussion focused on what could be the graphic
sign that would be legible enough and ideally unambiguous so that in
thousands of years from now, no stupid human (or ape, or robot or ?)
would stumble upon the door and try to open it (someone who wouldn't
have read Bluebeard's Castle, obviously) !
Seemingly, some representative of the native Indian community on
which land the landfill was supposed to be would have said that all
this discussion was nonsense, as they would always be there as they
had been for ages, and would just warn the people in case.

Its a nice story, but it would be even nicer if it was evidenced (I
would be delighted to read the minutes of that meeting, if they ever
existed).

Best regards, and thanks in advance for any information regarding this.

Jean