Thanks Phil.  Nice to know I can try before buying- and better still, not buy at all!

all best

Laura

Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art
Birkbeck College, University of London

For details of my book on Giotto and the Arena Chapel see http://www.brepols.net/Pages/ShowProduct.aspx?prod_id=IS-9781905375127-1

On 6 February 2015 at 15:08, Phil Feller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Laura,

I've used GeneologyJ, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember much about it. The good thing about open-source software is that you can try it out without a major commitment, and I believe that most open-source genealogy software uses the standard GEDCOM file format. You can find sample GEDCOM files to test out the software's ability to generate family trees in places such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/godskingsheroes/files/ged%20files/royalty/

Phil Feller